Sunday, April 24, 2011

Number 200 Will Be...

I got quite a few suggestions at my question which book should be the 200th work reviewed on Random Comments, making it quite difficult for me to pick one. Thank you all for your suggestions and let's have a look at the list I've got.

Benjami
n suggested three works. God's War by Kameron Hurley, Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin and The Orphan's Tales by Catherynne M. Valente. I already own an e-book of God's War. It is on the to read list for sometime later this year so for #200 I will skip it. Le Guin is of course an excellent suggestion. I have read (and reviewed) several of her books and there is another one on its way as we speak. Since Le Guin is not an author I wouldn't ordinarily have read, I am not going to pick that one either. There will be more reviews of her work at some point though. The Orphan's Tales... If I'm not mistaking, those are actually two books. They look tempting but I think I'll go with a single volume.

Elfy suggested something by either Terry Pratchett or Jasper Fforde. I have read the first eight Discworld novels but I am not familiar with the work of Fforde. Both of them are male however, so I'm afraid they are not going to be #200 either.

Moving on to The_Arnout. He suggested Among Others by Jo Walton. Again a tempting suggestion. I haven't read any of Walton's fiction but I do enjoy the reviews she is doing for Tor.com a lot. In fact, the only reason why I haven't picked it up yet is because there are an awful lot of books coming out in March and April I wanted to read. Again this is one I will get to eventually but not just now.

De Herrezen Draak, for those who you who don't speak English, he seems to think he is Rand al'Thor, suggests Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon. Her books seem to be doing well in Dutch translation. It doesn't look all that appealing to me and I think it might actually the 4th book, or the first in a second trilogy of a longer series. Don't think I'll pick this one up.

Katharina and Hélène thought it should be The Many Colored Land by Julian May. My only experience with her writing is the unmitigated disaster Black Trillium, for which she admittedly is only one thirds responsible. I don't think I'd be tempted to pick up another book by May because of this without a nudge. I guess that makes it a very good candidate. Unfortunately The Bookdepository doesn't have it available. At least not a paper version, I refuse to let someone else do my own reading for me.

Schlimanzlnik suggested The Though Guide To Fantasyland by the late Diana Wynne Jones. It's the only non-fiction suggestion on the list. I've only reviewed one non-fiction work on Random Comments so far (Dreamer of Dune, a bibliography of Frank Herbert) so that alone makes it challenging (or to put it in other words, I expect it to be a pain in the backside to review). Still, the description of the book appeals to me and it is certainly not something I would have considered myself and it is available. I guess this is going to be the one.

The Though Guide To Fantasyland it is, but I must admit is ordered a copy of Among Others as well. I guess the to read list will just have to put up with one more addition ;)

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to read any of these either but I'm most curious about Among Others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard very good things about Among Other's as well, and although I haven't read Valente's The Orphan's Tales, I've read two of her other books and they were incredible.

    can't wait to read your reviews!

    ReplyDelete